I went and saw Stieg Larsson's brilliant story told quite well on the screen with Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara and a strong cast.
I listened to the audio book last fall and wanted to get the "full meal deal" first. I'm into mysteries, whodunnits and how it happened.
That's why the first of the trilogy intrigued me. While it was graphic in its portrayal of sexual violence and overly explicit at times in the "normal" sex scenes, it conveyed how deep the sexual issues are in Western culture.
The Swedish title of the story is "Men Who Hate Women" and was written to expose those who exploit women. I appreciate the creation of such a captivating story around such a difficult problem.
Christopher Plummer as Henrik Vanger clearly spelled out the mystery of the disappearance of his niece Harriet Vanger among a large, wealthy, dysfunctional extended family.
Rooney Mara's Lisbeth Salander is quite disturbing, yet I appreciate her strength of character, however misguided at times. Despite her tough as nails and I don't care exterior, she shows her capacity to feel, to love, and to be human in her own way.
This story is rich and abundant in characters whose personal stories ultimately reveal the answer to the mystery all the while drawing me into the step-by-step process of discovery.
Bravo!
No comments:
Post a Comment